Welcome at our division!
- Thermal and Fluids Engineering: Aeroacoustics, climatisation, LES, cooling of power transformers, electronics, power electronics.
- Thermotech: Creative technologies in mechanical engineering - flow, heat, combustion, engines and related safety issues.
- Energy & Environment : Rational use of energy and energy systems.
- Simulation of Thermal Systems: Thermal systems in buildings, Waste-to-Energy.
- Turbulent Flow Simulation and Optimization: Wind energy, indoor ventilation, pollutant dispersion.....
- Tijs Van Oevelen: Optimaal Ontwerp van Koellichamen voor Vloeistofkoeling van Elektronica
The defense will take place on Wednesday December 3, 2014 at 17h00
in the Aula van de Tweede Hoofdwet, Thermotechnisch Instituut,
Kasteelpark Arenberg 41, 3001 Heverlee.
- Jeroen Vandewalle: Aardgas in de energietransitie
Technische uitdagingen en mogelijkheden van aardgas en zijn infrastructuur als bron van flexibiliteit
The defense will take place on Tuesday November 18th, 2014 at 17h00
in Auditorium Kasteel (Arenberg Castle room 01.07),
Kasteelpark Arenberg 1, 3001 Heverlee.
Doctoral theses can be downloaded from the doctorates page.
At the TME division meeting PhD students of the division get the floor to present their research work to a broader public that is well acquainted with energy related research topics. The meeting takes place every two weeks during the lecturing period. Presentations are held at the department of Mechanical Engineering (Celestijnenlaan 300, 3001 Leuven, Room 02.30).
Presentations for this semester are:
- Tuesday 23rd of September 2014, 13h - 14h: Juliaan Bossuyt
Measuring wind turbine wakes and unsteady loading in a micro wind farm model
- Monday 6th of October 2014, 13h-14h: Ali Emre Yilmaz
Numerical Simulations of Flow Fields Through Conventionally Controlled Wind Turbines and Wind Farms
- Monday 20th of October 2014, 13h-14h: Juliana Zapata Riveros
Bidding of a VPP in the day-ahead market under uncertainty: profit optimization & risk aversion
- Monday 3rd of November 2014, 13h-14h: Wim Munters
A concurrent precursor inflow method for Large-Eddy Simulations of Atmospheric Boundary Layer flows under variable prevailing wind directions with application to mesoscale – microscale coupling
- Monday 17th of November 2014, 13h-14h: Lieven Vervecken
An Arnoldi approach for the reduced order modeling of the dispersion at Doel Nuclear Power Station
- Monday 01st of December 2014, 13h-14h: Mats Vande Cavey
A dynamic building emulator model for testing model predictive controllers for a building heating system
- Monday 15th of December 2014, 13h-14h: Kenneth Bruninx
Addressing renewables’ uncertainty in the operation of low-carbon electricity generation systems
An overview of publications can be found in the KU Leuven repository Lirias.
Blommaert, M., Dekeyser, W., Baelmans, T., Gauger, N., Reiter, D. (2015). An automated approach to magnetic divertor configuration design. Nuclear Fusion. accepted
Gielen, R., Van Oevelen, T., Baelmans, T. (2014). Challenges associated with Second Law design in engineering. International Journal of Energy Research, 38 (12), 1501-1512.
- Poncelet, K., Delarue, E., Duerinck, J., Six, D., D'haeseleer, W. (2014). The importance of integrating the variability of renewables in long-term energy planning models. BAEE Research Workshop. Erasmus University Rotterdam, 18 September 2014
Dekeyser, W., Reiter, D., Baelmans, T. (2014). Automated divertor target design by adjoint shape sensitivity analysis and a one-shot method. Journal of Computational Physics, 278, 117-132.
Sourbron, M., Helsen, L. (2014). Sensitivity analysis of feedback control for concrete core activation and impact on installed thermal production power. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 7 (5), 309-325.
De Rijcke, S., Driesen, J., Meyers, J. (2014). Power smoothing in large wind farms using optimal control of rotating kinetic energy reserves. Wind Energy, art.nr. we.1790
Maggioni, F., Oprins, H., Beyne, E., De Wolf, I., Baelmans, T. (2014). Convolution Based Steady State Compact Thermal Model for 3D Integrated Circuits: Methodology for Including the Thermal Impact of Die to Die Interconnections. Proceedings of the 15th International Heat Transfer Conference, IHTC-15 August 10-15, 2014, Kyoto, Japan. International Heat Transfer Conference, IHTC-15. Kyoto, 10-15 August 2014 Begell House.
Buckinx, G., Baelmans, T. (2014). Towards a general spatial averaging procedure for multi-scale modeling in heat transfer devices with repetitive fin structures. Proceedings of the 15th International Heat Transfer Conference, IHTC-15. International Heat Transfer Conference. Kyoto, 10-15 August 2014 (art.nr. 1234).
Wilton, E., Delarue, E., D'haeseleer, W., van Sark, W. (2014). Reconsidering the capacity credit of wind power: application of cumulative prospect theory. Renewable Energy: An International Journal, 68, 752-760.
Bruninx, K., Delarue, E. (2014). A statistical description of the error on wind power forecasts for probabilistic reserve sizing. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 5 (3), 995-1002.