Welcome at our division!
- Thermal and Fluids Engineering: Aeroacoustics, climatisation, LES, cooling of power transformers, electronics, power electronics.
- Thermotech: Creative technologies in mechanical engineering - flow, heat, combustion, engines and related safety issues.
- Energy & Environment : Rational use of energy and energy systems.
- Simulation of Thermal Systems: Thermal systems in buildings, Waste-to-Energy.
- Turbulent Flow Simulation and Optimization: Wind energy, indoor ventilation, pollutant dispersion.....
- Thursday 04th of June 2015, 13h30: Roel De Coninck
Grey-Box Based Optimal Control for Thermal Systems in Buildings -Unlocking Energy Efficiency and Flexibility
The defense will take place on Thursday June 04, 2015 at 13h30
in Auditorium De Molen (00.07), Kasteelpark Arenberg 50, Heverlee
Doctoral theses can be downloaded from the doctorates page.
At the TME division meeting PhD students of the division get the floor to present their research work to a broader public that is well acquainted with energy related research topics. The meeting takes place every two weeks during the lecturing period. Presentations are held at the department of Mechanical Engineering (Celestijnenlaan 300, 3001 Leuven, Room 02.30).
Presentations for this semester are:
- Monday 23rd of February 2015, 13h - 14h: Kenneth Van den Bergh
Congestion management in a Belgian electricity grid with offshore wind
- Monday 9th of March 2015, 13h-14h: Dieter Patteeuw
CO2 abatement cost by use of residential heat pumps with active demand response: demand and supply side effects
- Monday 16th of March 2015, 13h-14h: Joris Coddé
Optimisation of a thermo hydraulic network model based design for power transformers
- Tuesday 07th of April 2015, 13h-14h: Joachim Verhelst
Economic impact of sensor and actuator degradation in offices using model based heating and cooling control
- Monday 20th of April 2015, 13h-14h: Filip Jorissen
Validation of detailed Modelica building model using measurement data
- Monday 04th of May 2015, 13h-14h: Brecht Baeten
A novel iterative linear program for use in model predictive control of sensible energy storage in dwellings with a heat pump and local electricity production.
- Monday 18th of May 2015, 13h-14h: Athanasios Vitsas
Turbine structural response in large-eddy simulations of wind farms.
- Monday 01st of June 2015, 13h-14h: Sepideh Hosseinzadeh
Determination of the burning velocity of dust in constant volume combustion
An overview of all publications can be found on our publication page.
Blommaert, M., Dekeyser, W., Baelmans, T., Gauger, N., Reiter, D. (2015). An automated approach to magnetic divertor configuration design. Nuclear Fusion. accepted
Gielen, R., Van Oevelen, T., Baelmans, T. (2014). Challenges associated with Second Law design in engineering. International Journal of Energy Research, 38 (12), 1501-1512.
- Poncelet, K., Delarue, E., Duerinck, J., Six, D., D'haeseleer, W. (2014). The importance of integrating the variability of renewables in long-term energy planning models. BAEE Research Workshop. Erasmus University Rotterdam, 18 September 2014
Dekeyser, W., Reiter, D., Baelmans, T. (2014). Automated divertor target design by adjoint shape sensitivity analysis and a one-shot method. Journal of Computational Physics, 278, 117-132.
Sourbron, M., Helsen, L. (2014). Sensitivity analysis of feedback control for concrete core activation and impact on installed thermal production power. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 7 (5), 309-325.
De Rijcke, S., Driesen, J., Meyers, J. (2014). Power smoothing in large wind farms using optimal control of rotating kinetic energy reserves. Wind Energy, art.nr. we.1790
Maggioni, F., Oprins, H., Beyne, E., De Wolf, I., Baelmans, T. (2014). Convolution Based Steady State Compact Thermal Model for 3D Integrated Circuits: Methodology for Including the Thermal Impact of Die to Die Interconnections. Proceedings of the 15th International Heat Transfer Conference, IHTC-15 August 10-15, 2014, Kyoto, Japan. International Heat Transfer Conference, IHTC-15. Kyoto, 10-15 August 2014 Begell House.
Buckinx, G., Baelmans, T. (2014). Towards a general spatial averaging procedure for multi-scale modeling in heat transfer devices with repetitive fin structures. Proceedings of the 15th International Heat Transfer Conference, IHTC-15. International Heat Transfer Conference. Kyoto, 10-15 August 2014 (art.nr. 1234).
Wilton, E., Delarue, E., D'haeseleer, W., van Sark, W. (2014). Reconsidering the capacity credit of wind power: application of cumulative prospect theory. Renewable Energy: An International Journal, 68, 752-760.
Bruninx, K., Delarue, E. (2014). A statistical description of the error on wind power forecasts for probabilistic reserve sizing. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 5 (3), 995-1002.